An industry-first in fully accessible, easy access level boarding from curb to aisle.
New Flyer developed SmartRider™ to create an unmatched accessibility experience for all passengers – enabling buses to kneel to variable heights and minimizing the slope difference between a low-floor ramp and the bus floor.
SmartRider™ is available on all Xcelsior® models, in one of two configurations, SmartRider™ and SmartRider™ Plus. SmartRider™ includes basic features on the front axle. SmartRider™ Plus applies to all axle systems, lending additional features such as curb-side kneeling, high ride/low ride and platform-level boarding.
The SmartRider™ system is a breakthrough in public transit accessibility, offering:
- Unmatched accessibility
- Increased stability and improved sway control
- Actively maintained ride height on uneven road surfaces
- Reduced energy consumption and lower maintenance
- Integrated suspension kneeling operation with SmartRider™ ramp to facilitate single operation for accessible boarding to a defined ramp angle
Benefits of SmartRider™ and SmartRider™ Plus
- Optimized boarding and unmatched line accessibility for all passengers. SmartRider™ and SmartRider™ Plus can achieve a 1:6 slope ratio.
- Intelligent, independent monitoring of controlled wheel positions for enhanced stability.
- Obstruction detection enables ramp to detect an obstruction. Ramp will stop and reverse to a vertical position within the doorway.
- Intelligent technology that eliminates driver decision on when and how far to kneel.
- Easy diagnostics and fewer parts and maintenance with reduced air spring wear, no external linkage, and easily replaceable linear sensors.
With the addition of the SmartRider™ ramp, how does the entire system work?
The SmartRider™ ramp and suspension system work together to make ramp deployment and bus kneeling an automated operation. At a single touch of a button, a driver can deploy the ramp to enable the following: