New Flyer is engineering progressive transit technology that serves our communities and makes our cities smarter, while safeguarding precious resources. Xcelsior CHARGE™ is available in multiple lengths and battery configurations.
Xcelsior CHARGE™ uses an electric motor powered by energy stored in rechargeable batteries. We offer multiple Energy Storage Systems (ESS) and charging solutions so you can develop the right ESS and infrastructure solution for your needs.
- Available in 35-foot, 40-foot and 60-foot
- Industry-leading range capability from 100 kWh to 885 kWh of electricity
- Monitored by a sophisticated battery management system for added protection, longevity and charging efficiency
- Direct drive – No transmission required, reducing cost, weight, maintenance and propulsion complexity
- Industry-leading passenger carrying capacity
- Regenerative braking while decelerating recharges the batteries, reducing energy consumption and extending range
Improved traction and gradeability (powered center and rear axles comes standard on XE60 and an optional high-gradeability motor is available on all lengths
Built to Rely On
New Flyer has created its battery-electric bus by applying modern electrical technology to its well-proven Xcelsior® platform. New Flyer engineers have drawn upon New Flyer’s 50 years of experience producing electric trolleys, hybrids and fuel cell buses for North American operators. With over 100 million miles of experience in electric propulsion, New Flyer’s Xcelsior electric bus is built to rely on.
Electrical Efficiency Throughout
All on-board sub-systems and accessories are electrically driven:
- The air compressor and air conditioning compressors are electrically powered. DC power is converted to AC power and is supplied to each of these major systems separately. This allows each system to operate more reliably and efficiently, with minimum power consumption.
- The bus also has a converter to supply 24-volt DC power for power steering, interior fans, lights, electric doors (optional) and other accessories.
Xcelsior CHARGE has a range of up to 284 miles (457 km) on a single charge. The on-route rapid charger provides unlimited range, and a means for the Xcelsior CHARGE to stay in service 24 hours a day. New Flyer is pleased to offer both plug in charging and on-route charging solutions that meet industry standards, and are interoperable with other electric vehicles.
Reduce Your Operating Costs
New Flyer electrification technology lowers operational costs and reduces emissions:
- With no engine, transmission, intake or exhaust, customers can save up to $125,000 in maintenance costs over the 12-year life of the bus.
- Electrically-driven HVAC systems are now proven to require much less maintenance than systems with conventional engine-driven compressors.
- Electrically-driven accessories also mean fewer belts, fewer filters and less fluids, all of which are routine maintenance items on conventional buses.
Quiet in Operation
With the absence of a traditional internal combustion engine and its related mechanical and exhaust noises, passengers will love the significantly quieter ride provided by the nearly silent electric traction motor:
- During the Altoona Interior Noise: 0 to 35 mph Acceleration Testing, the Xcelsior® Electric scored the lowest dBA level, making it the quietest bus on the market.
- The Xcelsior Electric was significantly quieter than specified regulations within the APTA/FTA Standard Bus Procurement Guidelines at all four interior measurement locations within the interior of the vehicle.