NFI Group Inc. (“NFI Group”) and its subsidiaries comprise the largest bus and motor coach manufacturer and parts distributor in North America, with 32 fabrication, manufacturing, distribution, and service centers located across Canada and the United States and employing nearly 6,000 team members.
NFI Group provides a comprehensive suite of mass transportation solutions under several brands: New Flyer® (heavy-duty transit buses), ARBOC® (low-floor cutaway and medium-duty buses), MCI® (motor coaches), and NFI Parts™ (bus and coach parts, support, and service). NFI Group’s vehicles incorporate the widest range of drive systems available ranging from clean diesel, natural gas, diesel-electric hybrid, trolley-electric, battery-electric, and fuel cell electric.
- New Flyer is North America’s heavy-duty transit bus leader and offers the most advanced product line under the Xcelsior® and Xcelsior CHARGE™ brands. New Flyer actively supports over 44,000 heavy-duty transit buses (New Flyer, NABI, and Orion) currently in service, of which 7,300 are powered by electric motors and battery propulsion and 1,600 are zero-emission.
- ARBOC is North America’s low-floor, body-on-chassis (“cutaway”) bus leader serving transit, paratransit, and shuttle applications. With more than 3,000 buses in service, ARBOC leads the low-floor cutaway bus market providing unsurpassed passenger accessibility and comfort over traditional high-floor cutaway vehicles. ARBOC also offers a medium-duty bus for transit and shuttle applications.
- Motor Coach Industries is North America’s motor coach leader offering the J-Series, the industry’s best-selling intercity coach for 11 consecutive years, and the D-Series, the industry’s best-selling motor coach line in North American history. MCI actively supports over 28,000 coaches currently in service.
- NFI Parts is North America’s most comprehensive parts organization, providing replacement parts, technical publications, training, service, and support for NFI Group’s bus and motor coach product lines.
NFI Group Milestones
- 1930: Western Auto and Truck Body started in Winnipeg, Manitoba
- 1945: Renamed Western Flyer Coach
- 1986: Sold and renamed New Flyer Industries (NFI)
- 2005: NFI completes IPO and becomes a public company listed on the TSX
- 2009: NFI launches LEAN OpEx program
- 2010: NFI acquires TCB Enterprises
- 2011: NFI converts capital structure from IDS to Common Share
- 2013: NFI acquires Orion Parts and North American Bus Industries (NABI)
- 2015: NFI acquires Motor Coach Industries (MCI) and Frank Fair Industries
- 2017: NFI acquires Carlson Engineered Composites (now Carfair Composites).
- 2017: NFI opens its Vehicle Innovation Center in Alabama
- 2017: NFI acquires assets of Sintex Wausaukee Composites (now part of Carfair)
- 2017: NFI acquires ARBOC Specialty Vehicles
- 2018: NFI delivers 10,000th Xcelsior® bus
Learn more about New Flyer history.