Green Transit Solutions
Introduced to the market in 1994, New Flyer’s heavy-duty compressed natural gas (CNG) transit bus can meet your transit agency’s low-emission needs today.
CNG propulsion emits 90% less nitrogen oxide (NOx) than diesel engines.
CNG offers direct solutions to your low-emission challenges.
Deploying low and zero-emission technology is a critical part of reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.With clean, safe, and readily available technology, CNG propulsion emits 90% less nitrogen oxide (NOx) than diesel engines — and meets particulate matter levels without the need of a filter.
With nearly 13,000 CNG buses delivered across North America, New Flyer has been the CNG leader for 25 years, offering unmatched expertise in the design and deployment of low-emission transit buses for cleaner air and healthier communities.
How it works
CNG fuel systems transfers high-pressure natural gas from the storage tank through the main fuel supply line to a fuel block manifold and filter. The natural gas pressure level is reduced using a pressure regulator to be compatible with the engine fuel injection system. Fuel is then introduced into the intake manifold or combustion chamber.
Another low-emission option for the proven Xcelsior® platform, boasting the same features and industry-proven durability, with 25 years of unmatched expertise in CNG technology.
- Available in 35-foot, 40-foot and 60-foot configurations
- Provide an extended range of 350-400 miles
- Clean, safe, and readily available, CNG buses emit virtually no visible particulate matter, directly reducing GHG emissions and smog
- Exceeds today’s CNG standards and safety requirements including a complete fire suppression system on every bus
- Can be immediately deployed and scaled with minimal infrastructure resources
- Industry-leading passenger carrying capacity with the strategic weight distribution of our components
- Easy to maintain; CNG eliminates the need for particulate filters and regeneration cycles
Commitment to clean, safe, and sustainable transit
New Flyer Xcelsior® buses carry millions of people to their destinations every day, and this is not a responsibility we take lightly. Together with leading transit agencies, we are proud to deliver safe and low-emission mobility solutions for communities, and will continue working to restore clean air for the millions of North Americans who reside in areas with exceedingly poor air quality.
Xcelsior® CNG buses conform to the EPA and NHTSA comprehensive Heavy-Duty National Program, reducing fuel consumption for heavy-duty highway vehicles. This low-emission mobility option works to combat global climate change and aggressively reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from heavy-duty vehicles, the fastest growing segment of U.S. transportation for energy use and emissions.
Proven design & performance
New Flyer CNG technology is built on the proven Xcelsior® transit bus model with more than 10,000 Xcelsior® heavy-duty transit bus models delivered in North America, accumulating over one billion miles of revenue service.