New Flyer becomes the first bus manufacturer in the world to sign on to Shared Mobility Principles for Livable Cities
Anniston, Alabama, USA – April 24, 2018: (TSX: NFI) New Flyer Industries Canada ULC and New Flyer of America Inc. (collectively “New Flyer”), subsidiaries of New Flyer Industries Inc. (“NFI Group”), the largest transit bus and motor coach manufacturer and parts distributor in North America, today announced it has signed on to the Shared Mobility Principles for Livable Cities.
The commitment makes New Flyer the first bus manufacturer in the world to sign on.
The principles, launched in 2017, are designed to guide urban decision-makers and stakeholders toward the best mobility outcomes for all, and are supported by a founding coalition of eight global sustainability groups including C40 cities, Transportation for America, and the Shared-Use Mobility Center, and other signatories such as Uber, Lyft, Via, and ZipCar. The Shared Mobility Principles for Livable Cities include ten commitments to ensure sustainable, efficient, and collaborative mobility development on a global scale:
1. We plan our cities and their mobility together.
2. We prioritize people over vehicles.
3. We support the shared and efficient use of vehicles, lanes, curbs, and land.
4. We engage with stakeholders.
5. We promote equity.
6. We lead the transition towards a zero-emission future and renewable energy.
7. We support fair user fees across all modes.
8. We aim for public benefits via open data.
9. We work towards integration and seamless connectivity.
10. We support that autonomous vehicle in dense urban areas should be operated only in shared fleets.
A “livable” city is one that attracts citizens to live and work there, which includes efficient and connected multi-modal solutions (“Smart Mobility”) to facilitate population growth and movement. This is why, in February 2018, New Flyer committed to leading collaboration, cooperation, and the technological advancement of Smart Mobility in North America; supporting development of Smart Cities through advanced transit solutions.
“As longtime innovators in transportation, it’s important that we continue building on our commitment to technological advancement,” said Wayne Joseph, President of the Transit Bus Business. “We are committing to advancing innovation in bus and coach technology in North America, and as we look ahead, part of this involves exploring multi-modal solutions for communities looking to become Smart Cities. And Smart Cities need Smart Mobility, so it makes sense for us to lead the industry with collaboration and advancement in this area.”
As North America’s largest bus and motor coach manufacturer and parts distributor, New Flyer will work with industry leaders, transit authorities, the American Public Transportation Association, and other service providers and manufacturers in the multi-modal space, to further collaboration and development within the Smart Mobility space.
In October 2017, New Flyer continued its near 90-year commitment to transit innovation by opening the Vehicle Innovation Center (VIC) in Anniston, Alabama. As the first and only innovation lab of its kind in North America, the VIC is focused on advancing bus and coach technology through interactive programming, learning labs, and industry collaboration on battery-electric and autonomous vehicle technologies. For information on the Vehicle Innovation Center, visit www.newflyer.com.
For information on Shared Mobility Principles, visit www.sharedmobilityprinciples.org.
About NFI Group
NFI Group and its subsidiaries comprise the largest bus and motor coach manufacturer and parts distributor in North America, with 32 fabrication, manufacturing, distribution, and service centers located across Canada and the United States and employing nearly 6,000 team members.
NFI Group provides a comprehensive suite of mass transportation solutions under several brands: New Flyer® (heavy-duty transit buses), ARBOC® (low-floor cutaway and medium-duty buses), MCI® (motor coaches), and NFI Parts™ (bus and coach parts, support, and service). NFI Group’s vehicles incorporate the widest range of drive systems available ranging from clean diesel, natural gas, diesel-electric hybrid, trolley-electric, battery-electric, and fuel cell-electric.
- New Flyer is North America's heavy-duty transit bus leader and offers the most advanced product line under the Xcelsior® and Xcelsior CHARGE™ brands. New Flyer actively supports over 44,000 heavy-duty transit buses (New Flyer, NABI, and Orion) currently in service, of which 7,300 are powered by electric motors and battery propulsion and 1,600 are zero-emission.
- ARBOC is North America’s low-floor, body-on-chassis (“cutaway”) bus leader serving transit, paratransit, and shuttle applications. With more than 3,000 buses in service, ARBOC leads the low-floor cutaway bus market providing unsurpassed passenger accessibility and comfort over traditional high-floor cutaway vehicles. ARBOC also offers a medium-duty bus for transit and shuttle applications.
- Motor Coach Industries is North America’s motor coach leader offering the J-Series, the industry’s best-selling intercity coach for 11 consecutive years, and the D-Series, the industry’s best-selling motor coach line in North American history. MCI actively supports over 28,000 coaches currently in service.
- NFI Parts is North America's most comprehensive parts organization, providing replacement parts, technical publications, training, service, and support for NFI Group’s bus and motor coach product lines.
This press release may contain forward-looking statements relating to expected future events and financial and operating results of the NFI Group that involve risks and uncertainties. Although the forward-looking statements contained in this press release are based upon what management believes to be reasonable assumptions, investors cannot be assured that actual results will be consistent with these forward-looking statements, and the differences may be material. Actual results may differ materially from management expectations as projected in such forward-looking statements for a variety of reasons, including those risks and uncertainties discussed in the materials filed with the Canadian securities regulatory authorities and available on SEDAR at www.sedar.com. Due to the potential impact of these factors, NFI Group disclaims any intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, unless required by applicable law.
For further information, please contact: